Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Wednesday 11/7


Do Now reading:
'I was blindsided'

Discuss with your neighbor:
Reactions? Should ICE be able to do that during her interview process? What other steps could she have taken? How do you feel about the impact on her child?

Historic election wins

ELLIS ISLAND INTERVIEW AUDIO RECORDINGS (you'll need to make a free account to view / listen)

Debrief

HW: Make flashcards of vocab words

Immigrant - A person who moves from one country into another
Deportation - Expelling a foreigner of a country
Green Card - A document that allows non-citizens to live in the US permanently & legally
Illegal - Term used to describe immigrants who are undocumented, usually used by people who are conservative politically
Vetting - The process by which someone or something is looked at carefully
Partisan - Prejudice based on a specific cause or political party
Naturalization - The process of becoming a citizen
Xenophobia - Intense dislike of people from other countries
Legislation - laws
BRACERO program - migrant worker program in the US in the 1940s that allowed many Mexicans to cross the border for work
Platform - A set of beliefs that a political party has around various topics
Swing state - A state that doesn’t consistently vote for Republicans or Democrats
Non-Resident Alien - A person who is not a citizen of the US and does not hold a green card
LPR - Lawful Permanent Resident
Voter Base - The people a political party can depend on to vote for them and be enthusiastic about their platform
“Chain Migration” - Xenophobic term used to describe family-based immigration
Refugee - person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster
Nativism - protecting the interests of native-born or established inhabitants of a country against those of immigrants
Quotas - limited or fixed number of immigrants allowed under various legislations
DACA - Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals - protections for children brought here illegally, usually dealt with higher education opportunities, created by Obama administration
Push Factor - something that causes an immigrant to want to leave their home country (ex. Famine, natural disaster, poverty, danger)
Pull Factor - something that entices an immigrant to come to a new country (ex. job opportunity, wealth, safety)
Executive Order - presidential power to create legislation without going through Congress
Sanctuary City - an area where local legislation refuses to cooperate with ICE in terms of handing over undocumented immigrants
Chinese Exclusion Act - severely limited the amount of Chinese allowed to come to the US in the late 1800’s

Immigration Acts  of 1921-1924 - put restrictions & quotas on the immigration of peoples from various countries



Sample of a Diary Entry:

12/20/1985
Dear Diary,
So I’m going to give this whole diary thing a shot. My life’s been kind of crazy these last few months and I feel like there’s a lot of changes happening. I know that as I grow older, if I ever have kids, this might be a story worth re-visiting, so here goes. The main thing that’s central to my big shift in my life right now is that my brother, my mom, and I have decided that we’re going to move to the United States. Leaving my home of Greece seems crazy in some ways. It’s so beautiful here, my friends are here, I have my routines and my life has been okay. I guess that’s the thing though. My life, and my brother’s, and my mother’s have really JUST been okay. The problem with Greece is that there isn’t a whole lot of opportunity for guys like me, coming from a working class background to actually find a job where I’d make enough money to really be successful. My Uncle George is living in Belmont, Massachusetts and he’s already been telling my about a few different jobs he could help set me up with. My family has been working with the US embassy in Athens trying to get all of our paperwork done, and it’s been difficult getting in touch with my father, who has also been living in Massachusetts for the past several years. Even though he’s still technically married to my mom, they haven’t spoken in years. We know though that immigrating with a family sponsor will make a successful move more likely. That’s all for now
Sincerely, Jon

Monday 4/6

Current assignments will now be posted HERE for all classes  (NEW LINK) All courses will be tracking assignment completion as either "...